Showcasing our making-of video, Ascent is currently being featured on the GVU's homepage.
Today we were able to get video streaming from the roof into the elevator successfully for three out of our four cameras. So we've got to figure out that cranky fourth camera, as well as some issues with the movement of the camera mount. Onwards!
Our fabulous banner design is ready to be printed on an 8-foot by 3-foot banner, which will be held up by four yellow weather balloons, two on each side! This will be set up in the courtyard outside TSRB to help publicize Ascent and the GVU20 events in general.
So it turns out it's very difficult to get a wireless connection to work in an elevator, and especially difficult to have it working well enough to stream video that's worth looking at, and works at every floor. We were thrilled yesterday to have a successful pathway set up for sending video from the cameras (which will be rigged to the balloon lines, but were still grounded yesterday) all the way to the inside of the elevator to a laptop. In the installation, the cameras will capture the video from balloon-level and wirelessly transmit down to a router on the 5th floor patio outside, which has a wired connection to a fancy schmancy wifi blaster positioned right outside the elevator on the 5th floor. This sends the video wirelessly into the elevator, to a huge antenna and another router, which sends the video to our four of raspberry pi computers, which then send the video to the four projectors.
Scott helped us test the robustness of the projector frame, and scare the living daylights out of Mariam, who had not anticipated him hanging from the ceiling of the elevator!
It was a long road to get here - but we finally got multicamera video live streaming to work and look pretty darn good while the elevator is moving both up and down. In Andy's words:
Somehow it actually worked that we can beam Wifi from Floor 5 into elevator (with 1 watt antenna blaster, and our big tube antenna). We tried a heck of a ton of combinations and positions and finally found one that actually appears to work. We even tested it with multiple streaming cameras going and the added bandwidth did not affect the display.
So that's one problem possibly scooted out of the way for the time being. Now we gotta get these new cameras up in the air, beaming down properly, and the projectors all installed and receiving.
(and maybe our replacement stepper motor driver will actually show up from china!)
We were really grateful to get permission from the building management folks to have Jack (maintenance engineer who's been very kind and helpful to us) install two roof anchors for us. This means the three tethers for the balloon cluster can be spaced out as far as possible, maximizing stability of the balloons and lines, and hopefully therefore minimizing the motion-sickness potential inside the elevator.